About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Saturday, February 03, 2024

Where I Sleep When Liz Is Away

Where I Sleep When Liz Is Away

 

When Liz is not here,

I sleep on the sofa.

Just me and the dog and a movie on tv.

When our eyes begin to lower like flags of surrender,

and the night sounds surround us,

we zip up for the evening

just my dog and me.

The bed is just too wide for one lonely person.

The couch is just right for a dog and a person.

She squeezes behind me,

her hot-water-bottle body keeping me warm.

 

In the night,

when I need to pee,

I old-man shuffle and

quietly sneak out the patio door.

Not that there is anyone

I need to fear waking.

Just respect for the night time,

the crickets,

the quiet…

It is as close to camping

as I get any more.

Quietly back to the warmth

of my bag on the sofa

my bed-friend is waiting.

We arrange our jigsaw bodies

in the cushions and pillows.

Perhaps a few more “winks”

before the light of dawn.


 

No comments: