About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Friday, April 19, 2013

Pulling up the Vines



Pulling up the Vines

The nasty corkscrew roots
clinging, not just tangled in,
the rocks
and yellowish soil,
makes me wonder if
the plant knows?
The way it sends
its orange roots out
just under the surface
of my garden
scouting
getting the lay of the land.
The way it winds
around my plants
like a constrictor
in perfect coils,
I suspect a plan.
And when I try
to pull it from its
devious exploration
under my garden
it travels and unravels
like a zipper
and snaps
before I can get it all-
there is always a tiny bit
left behind.
That is all it takes,
a tiny bit,
and next year
it will again
be grown
as prosperous
and cloying
and strong.

"busted clay pot garden-by Matt Gartman
photo by Matt Gartman-used without permission. 

2 comments:

the sister unit said...

Matt, did you plant that clay-pot garden? Its as beautiful as the poem

camerabanger said...

Thanks from me for the compliment on the poem.
I will thank you for Matt-the garden and photo.