About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Monday, July 13, 2020

Raspberry Picking (and Neighbors)



The raspberries are almost dripping on the bushes. I stopped during a little walk the other day and ate a handful while Gurler watched. She was not interested in eating any, though usually she’ll eat anything I am eating. She’ll have a little piece or two of orange and she loves watermelon and goes nuts for apples. I guess raspberries just are not her thing. Anyway, while they were good two days ago they still had a bit to go before they would be really sweet but in the meantime, waiting, there was a risk that the birds and other wildlife would get them before I could get my share. I decided to wait anyway. It was worth it. Today they were juicy and sweet, almost too ripe to pick without squishing in my hand. Just right.

After I walked Gurler about 6:00am I picked up a colander and went back out without her to do some picking. She wanted to go but it is too hard to keep an eye on her while in the berry patch and she is up on the road. Best to leave her home for a while until I pick my fill.

Next to my house there is a vacant lot that sits between us and the Sadlon's. We have been neighbors for over 30 years and we’re friendly and all, but not real close. I like to bring them tomatoes from the garden as they ripen and they ask me to collect their mail when they are traveling. They are a bit older than us. He used to work for Consolidated Edison but has been retired for a few years. They go to Florida in the winter. They never had a garden. They don’t pick berries. Steve calls me Farmer Rand and gushes over the tomatoes. Nice people. Little story…

When we were building our house and the excavating contractor (piece of shit, may he rot in hell!) was digging the septic system and the site for the foundation there was a huge tree which had not been removed and he didn’t have responsibility for tree work. He told me to get it outta there so he could keep working. Being the crazy fool I am I decided to remove the tree myself rather than hire someone to do it for me. I’d taken a lot of trees down in my life and this one seemed like it would be pretty straight forward. I got the carpenters who were working on the house with me to give me a hand. We tied off some lines to the tree as high as we could reach and I took the chain saw to the tree. It was pretty big, maybe 50 or 60 feet tall but we had plenty of room towards the back of the property to let her rip. All well and good except that the tree decided it wasn’t going to go to the back side of the property. A gust of wind sent it in the opposite direction and the lines and my men could not hold her. Down it came…right over the power lines, phone lines, and the TV cable snapping them all as it fell. The power lines exploded in a shower of sparks and flame as we stood there gaping at the disaster.


Within minutes the police were on the scene as was the fire truck from the Continental Village fire department. All the neighbors began to show up too, you see this was Super Bowl Sunday and I’d shut the game down in a big, big way. Needless to say no one was happy with me. I was the guy who worked on his house every weekend, every holiday late into the afternoon with the generator running and power tools humming. Not the most popular character in town to begin with and now I’d ruined every Super Bowl party for a half mile in every direction. I felt about two feet tall. There was nothing I could do to fix the situation and no place for me to hide. My carpenters left quickly and I don’t blame them a bit. I was alone to face the wrath of the neighborhood and answer the questions for the fire chief and the state police. While answering those questions along comes my neighbor to the north (another piece of crap named Sprat!) all up in arms about his “meat”! He jumps all over the state cop complaining about what’s he gonna do about the freezer full of meat that he just bought yesterday and who’s gonna replace it? I mean he was more dramatic than the Hunchback of Notre Dame and he was kicking me while I was down. The cop, to his credit, put him right in his place, told him to calm down and leave the freezer closed. The problem, he assured the obnoxious neighbor, would be fixed quickly and there would not be any loss. And, he added, “Your neighbor (meaning me) has a lot more problems than that to worry about without you piling on!” That shut him up and for the first time in my life I found myself liking a cop.

Steve Sadlon watched the whole circus from the sidelines calmly assessing the situation and then he said hello to me. It was the first time we’d spoken since I’d bought the property and started building. He introduced himself and told me he worked for ConEd and, unfortunately this was going to be an expensive mistake. It was obvious that he took no pleasure in serving up the bad news. When I asked him how much it was going to cost to fix he couldn’t say but he knew it would be a lot of dough. The next set of vehicles to show up to the disaster were the ConEd trucks including a hardy crew of guys in hardhats all on overtime. I was royally screwed, of that I was sure.

I paced in the road, back and forth, watching the crew mobilize. They safe’d off the area and in short order they reconnected the power lines. The phone company and the cable company came too and within an hour and a half the community was back up and running. Steve Sadlon stood off to the side and talked to the foreman of the power company crew and they seemed to find the whole mess amusing. The blue light of the state police finally stopped spinning and the crowd disbursed. Steve Sadlon was the last to leave the scene. He must have been reading my mind because he tried to reassure me and make me feel better. I will always thank him for that. A little bit of kindness at a time like that is the best medicine. I still feel a pang of guilt and stupidity every time I think of that day even though it was thirty years ago. I still have a special place in my heart for Steve, my neighbor, because of his kind words and the fact that, while I have no proof that he interceded, I never got a bill for anything that happened that day. I was thinking of him this morning looking up towards his house as I picked the berries growing on the vacant lot between his house and mine.

As soon as I can get the berries up to Lizzy she promised to make some muffins. I can’t wait to taste them. I wish Steve and Carol Sadlon were home so I could bring some over to them. The only thing better than eating my wife’s home baked muffins and my homegrown tomatoes is bringing some over to Steve’s house.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Well I just loved this story! Sounds like something my Dad would do back in his invincible days. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy those berries.

camerabanger said...

Thanks Stephanie... and the muffins were exceptional!

Stephanie said...

I wish I had a neighbor like you.

Lee Katz said...

I loved reading that! Thank you!

Kathy K said...

What?.... No muffins for Josh?..
Great story, great guy.

camerabanger said...

I'll ask Lizzy to make a batch when next we meet. Love you guys.