About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Tooth Fairy




Tooth Fairy

Monday, May 23, 1994

On Saturday Benny began to complain that his teeth hurt him.  I looked into his mouth but I couldn't find anything wrong.  I could see him struggling all day with some discomfort and when
I looked into his mouth a couple of times I still couldn't find anything wrong.  It wasn't until dinner that Lizzy  told me that he had a loose tooth and sure enough when I reached into his puss and played with one of his little front teeth I found it was about ready to come out.  Lizzy commented on how it was a little early for him to be losing his teeth but it seemed reasonable to me.  
 
Benny has little tiny teeth like pure white little tombstones with gaps between each one.  When he smiles his peachy cheeks light up and his puffy little lips spread out on tiny teeth spaced out like the teeth on a comb.  Right in front  the gum was a bit red and the tiniest of the tiny teeth was all wiggly.  He wanted me to pull it out.  He has seen me pull out teeth on Jake and I guess he wanted the same attention but I didn't think the little pearl was quite ready to be pulled so I told him to wait 'till tomorrow and I'd do it then.  I also told him, in jest , to be carefull while he was eating that he didn't eat it or he'd never find it again.  " Where will it go?" he asked, and  I
told him he'd have to sift through his poop to find it if he swallowed it.  After that he was obviously struggling with the desire to have the tooth out but he obviously didn't want to swallow it.

Sunday, after pants-cakes for breakfast, he made the discovery that he had lost the tooth.  He must have swallowed it!!  And contrary to our earlier discussion it was not he thought of  "sifting through the poop" that bothered him--it was not having a tooth for the tooth-fairy that was on his mind.  I vowed to make sure that he would have a tooth for the tooth-fairy.  In fact Lizzy even went so far as to tell him that we must have a spare tooth around that he could use and at bed time he would have one.  

Well bedtime came and went and Lizzy and I forgot all about the tooth-fairy...Benny must have forgotten too 'cause he never mentioned it .    When the morning came and I was just about to leave for work I remembered that Benny would never have that first-tooth-finding -that -the tooth-fairy-had-come-and -left-money-experience.  I had to do something fast.  This is what I did.

First I went into the cupboard and got out the bag of dried beans  that Lizzy keeps for cooking.  I found a nice fat white bean.  Then I took out a sheet of paper and drew a picture of a stupidly grinning boy--his smile was wide open and his teeth stood out like tombstones.  In a spot where the bottom teeth should be I taped the dried bean  and over the picture I printed the following message--
BENNY--YOU FORGOT TO LEAVE ME A TOOTH!  SO  I LEFT YOU ONE!
SIGNED,
                                        TOOTH FAIRY

To the note I taped a dollar bill.

No comments: