About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Monday, December 24, 2012

Old



Siscal and Ebert Review - "Old"

In my opinion
the break-out scene
was the one where the son (played by Jackie Coogan)
said to his father (played by Edward G. Robinson)
-you remember he was lying on the couch
his wife (played by Myrna Loy)
was on the other couch knitting-
Coogan said
“…an old man…”
“How old?” asked his father.
Indignantly, or a bit too off handedly,
“I don’t know!
Like you.  Sixty four or sixty five.  Old.”
Robinson sat up slightly and
brushed his hand over his
beard and then through his thinning hair.
“That’s not old”, he said, “I am not old.”
“Yes it is.” 
Myrna Loy could not help herself
and could not conceal
a slight smile. 
The camera caught it in a fleeting close-up
of her lips.
As Coogan gathered his coat
and made for the door
to his car outside,
 to meet his friends.











The camera came to rest
on Robinson’s face.
The most expressive face God ever formed
and without a word
it said,
“I am old.”

No comments: