About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Greens in the Garden
Washing the greens



Wednesday, July 25, 2012

One of the advantages to being out of work is one gets to work in the garden.  An extension of that is cooking the produce and putting some of it up for the winter.  Going into the garden is a satisfying pastime that gives me great pleasure.  I am not sure if I would call it a substitute for the gym but it seems to give me a similar relaxed sense of a physical workout as well.  Probably all in my head (I hate the gym) but I seem to be losing some weight and redistributing the weight I have.  After walking the dog and having my coffee I try to put some time in to make the garden productive and attractive.  Productive-obviously, because that is what a garden is for, growing stuff to eat.  Attractive-the purpose of that is less easily defined.  Garden as art?  A farmer might scoff.  I find that I must work to that end because…well, again, I’m not entirely sure why?  It makes it more pleasing to be in an ordered, attractive place?  Sure.  It runs against my grain to do dis-orderly things.  Yes.  Tight assed guy- I guess so. 

Anyway, this is this morning’s project-cookin’ up the greens. Mustard greens, basil, garlic, onion, spices...
And clean it all up when you are done cookin' (the most important step in the process!)



Ready to freeze for the winter


No comments: