About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving

Saturday, November 26, 2011


I picked up Jake at the Central Valley bus stop on Wednesday night. His bus was a little bit late so I cruised the mall and ended up buying a couple of pair of casual shoes for myself. I really needed them. I look like a bum lately and wear my work boots most of the time. Lizzy was shocked that I did it as I never shop for myself. That is the kind of shopping that she likes to do…It is totally uncharacteristic of me. The reason I bought two pair was that there was a sale and the second pair was half price. Matt and I wear the same size so I gave him one pair.

Matthew and Bailey have been with us for two days now. They got in on Thursday morning at 5 am and though I didn’t hear the car pull up in the driveway I was dozing on the couch and I had the chance to just say hi! and watch them disappear (zombie-like) up the stairs to bed. After driving 12 hours straight from Asheville I didn’t want them to come in to an ‘empty’ house. Since Lizzy was sleeping soundly I did the ‘welcoming committee’ thing then I curled back up on the couch downstairs wrapped in three afghans until it was time for her to get up.

Ben is getting primed to head off to live in Colorado. The thought of his departure is difficult for me to process. I understand his need to get out there on his own…it’s just, well, I will content myself to savor these last few weeks with him still living with me.

The thanksgiving dinner was a qualified success. Turkey, pies, stuffing, sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes, string beans and asparagus and, for the vegetarians-Tofurky! It looked like a little bowling ball covered in sweetish sauce. It was the comic conversation piece of the meal. I, myself, am not fond of turkey let alone fake turkey. Jake and Bailey tasted it. Not me. My pumpkin pie (made with last years frozen pumpkin) was great tasting but had a poor consistency. I should have blended the filling more and used cream (which we didn’t have in the house) instead of 2% milk. The addition of a couple of extra egg yokes helped marginally. Still I have tasted much better. With every one of my sons in attendance, with Bailey and her child-to-be, my wonderful wife, and the dog and the cat…I have never experienced a more satisfying hour at a table. “God bless us-everyone”.

2 comments:

Rayn said...

Sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving to me. This entry made me smile :)

Happy (late) Thanksgiving, Rand.

camerabanger said...

Perfect, except for a visit from you. Love.