About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Cherry Tomatoes



Sunday, September 05, 2010


This year I had one bush of cherry tomatoes that produced more fruit than I have ever seen on any other plant. Every day I go out there with a bag and pick a hundred mature, sweet (but tiny) tomatoes. Now at the end of the season the actual ‘crop’ has come in and this morning I picked about six or seven hundred. There are three times that many still on the plant. It is unbelievable.
So I decided to try something new. I am roasting a big batch on the barbeque right now and I think they are going to be wonderful. I prep’d them by putting a couple of tablespoons of olive oil on an aluminum lined cookie sheet and then covered the sheet with a solid field of the little, ripe tomatoes. I rolled them around to get them coated and then sprinkled a little Morton’s Kosher Salt on them. I set the barbeque at low (one burner only) and put the cookie sheet on the top warming rack. I actually started on high on the bottom but things progressed so fast that I didn’t want to end up with stewed/burned tomatoes so I changed the settings as described above. I think they will turn out nicely and I hope they will keep for a week in the fridge. I imagine them on pasta and maybe cooking other things with them in the recipes. We’ll see.

Well, they turned out great. Lizzy says we’ll have them tonight on some pasta. The whole cookie sheet made one nice plate (picture) so will serve about three for dinner. The oil that was left in the pan looked beautiful so I threw on another batch and added one of my ‘devil’ peppers. Hot damn! I like it too much!

No comments: