About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Good Friday












Good Friday

April 2, 2010


Sylvester is growing gracefully deaf

And I progressively weaker.

He sits with me

On the back porch stair,

In first strong sun of the Spring

We have been talking about the Seder.


Soon my friends and I

Will be seated at the table.

I don’t want to get profound, but,

Sylvester told me to talk about Jesus.


Jesus was a good Jew

Who spoke the truth that he knew

And feared no man but his father.

The time will come,

Sylvester said,

When your son will know

That this was the best of times

But he was busy sleeping,

That he was the best of fathers and sons,

His mother was the best cook,

And his brothers shared

All his best intentions.


When Sylvester dies

There will be

a small void

When his tiny life passes.

I have outlived cats before-

But he is different.

Who else will remind me

To talk about Jesus

At the Seder?

No comments: