About Me

My photo
Near Peekskill, New York, United States
My view. No apologies --Shorts, Poems and Photos-Your Comments are always appreciated. (Use with permission)

Monday, January 25, 2010

Morning Mirror



























In the morning mirror

the flesh of an old man

climbed my bones

and hung on me

like an old coat

draped over the rung

of a ladder.


I touched a place

below my heart-

a spot I crossed

and swore to die-

a place I touched

when I talked to the flag-

with the old man's hands

that climbed my bones,

ribs like a ladder

leaning on my chest.


In the dark

I am a young man

I am a small man

tough and supple

compact and slim.

When I close may eyes

I am a gripping fist

and a jaw and a hip

and brown in the sun

unstretched

standing slack

without pain

untouchable and clean.

but in the morning mirror

I clearly see

the door

the darkness

the sun struggling

with the dark

to make one more day.

No comments: